About meI'm a long-time journalist who writes for outlets like Foreign Policy, The Atlantic, TIME, South China Morning Post and am finishing up my second book. I love doing nontraditional travel, which has included playing in a frisbee tournament in North Korea and running a marathon on The Great Wall.
- What is the country or city that made you fall in love with traveling?
- China. I lived there for seven years and it was the first time I'd ever left my native Kansas for any significant period of time. It offered so many options for incredible travel experiences domestically and in the region.
- What's your best budget travel hack or tip?
- Traveling by bike with a tent lets you save a ton of money and see "in between" places you'd never think to buy a ticket to.
- If you could travel anywhere (regardless of time and money) where would you go? Why?
- Antarctica. It's the last great frontier, it looks beautiful, and it probably won't be the same for much longer.
- When do you start packing for a trip? A month, week, day, or hour in advance!
- A few days
LocationDurham, North Carolina