Featured Member BadgeThe Nomadic Network Chapter Leader
About meHi! I'm Erica, the Director of Events for The Nomadic Network.
I've been traveling all across the globe since I was 20 and moved to Doha to finish my university. After that, I taught English in northeastern Thailand and South Korea. I continued living and learning abroad on a Caribbean island called St Vincent, which led me to working with farming cooperatives in rural Zambia. I've spent extended periods of time in Vietnam, Cambodia, Dubai, Costa Rica, the UK, and South Africa.
What has captured my heart as I travel is getting to know people all over the world. I love sitting with families at their kitchen table eating and laughing, gushing with friends about our dating lives, cooking together, studying, farming, creating alongside each other, attending festivals and weddings. I learn by doing. So I try not to say "yes" as often as possible as I go and it's gotten me into some - unique - situations (to say the least!) I wouldn't change any of it for a moment.
Traveling is about 90% of my personality and how I express myself to the world. I don't know where I would be had I not moved to Qatar back in 2008. Though, I'm sure it'd be a lot different than who I get to be right now.
I've been on the Nomadic Matt team since I returned home (mostly) in 2013. My passion for teaching others to travel the world keeps me at this company. I'm so excited to be putting together events for the travelers of today, and tomorrow!
- Reason for joining
- I love traveling, travelers, people around the world, and anything created to bring people together!
- What is the country or city that made you fall in love with traveling?
- Qatar - hands down. I couldn't have ever imagined what moving there was like. The process of discovering Qatar person by person and action by action was quite incredible. I've been addicted to traveling ever since.
- What's your best budget travel hack or tip?
- Sit as far back on the plane as possible. Everyone hates to be in the back so there are usually plenty of seats to lay across.
- If you could travel anywhere (regardless of time and money) where would you go? Why?
- I dream about wandering through the continent of Africa with my boyfriend for years and making friends the whole way.
- What's the most surprising mode of transportation you've used?
- Sitting in the passengers' seat of a huge truck transporting while hitchhiking in Zambia with 3 other people in the seatbelt, chickens at our feet, 8 other people in the cab and about 50 people on top of coal in the bed of the truck was pretty memorable.
- When do you start packing for a trip? A month, week, day, or hour in advance!
- Like 3 hours before. Even if I'm moving there for a year. (I'm terrible and I just keep getting worse at packing the more often I travel!)